The project Survey of occupational exposure of importance in developing occupational asthma by production of primary aluminium (HAPPA) started 1st June 2002 and terminated 1st April 2008. Participating companies:
- Elkem Aluminium
- Hydro Aluminium
- Alcan ß ═slandi
- Kubikenborg Aluminium
- S°r-Norge Aluminium
- Vigeland Metal Refinery
In the connection with the determining of new indicative limits (i.e. fluoride and SO2) the general assembly of AMS decided in April 2002 to accomplish the project to survey occupational exposure in developing occupational asthma. Occupational asthma is still a problem for the industry. AMS wants to put great focus on this matter.
Reduction of diseases in the respiratory organs among operators in the aluminium industry.
- Use modern equipment to survey which factors of exposure, which may be important for occurrence and development of occupational asthma.
- Examine the importance of technology and operational parameters in the pot rooms when it comes to occupational exposure.
- Work out a new, modern sampling and analysis program for routine monitoring of the operators in the pot rooms.
- Use this routine program at the aluminium smelters.
- Arrange that the planned changes of the indicative limits for fluorides and SO2 from the Norwegian authorities will be based on scientific research, which may give directions for more relevant limits for the aluminium industry.
- Clarify whether free existing nano particles are an actual approach near the bath melt of the pot rooms. If this is the case, decide the exposure to these nano particles because such free nano particles have relatively great irritating/reactive surface per mass unit.
- Examine the efficiency of personal safety equipment in practical use since the efficiency may be considerably reduced for nano particles.
The work environment institute of Norway (STAMI) will do the practical work in the project and is responsible for all sampling and analysis in cooperation with AMS and the participants of the industry.